Lesbians React to Sex Scenes in “Blue is the Warmest Color”

kiss

Based on Julie Maroh’s graphic novel, “Blue is the Warmest Color” is a French romantic-drama that was produced and directed by Abdellatif Kechiche. It won the prestigious Palme d’Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.

Since its release in the States, opinions about “Blue is the Warmest Color” have varied, and most of the hype has revolved around the lengthy sex scenes between the two female leads. So we played the scenes to some queer women who hadn’t seen the movie and captured their reactions on tape. It turns out that Manic Panic blue hair isn’t actually alluring, and that some people think buttholes are, “a boundary.”

The film is currently showing at the IFC Center in New York City. Check out the showtimes here.

Created by Yeni Sleidi

7 Comments

1. November 12, 2013

This made my morning. Cosign on the ass play outro.

2. lauralh
    November 12, 2013

IFC stands for Independent Film Channel–the theater is owned by AMC Networks, which also owns the channel. It’s the IFC Center. Also, thanks for doing this. I had many of the same reactions.

3. Lee
    November 13, 2013

My partner and I (aged 40+) enjoyed this but felt the interview should’ve involved Lesbians of various age groups. We saw this movie and question as to why a couple of women repeatedly mentioned the *ass* play they feel was shown in the sex scenes. We don’t feel *that* was happening besides lots of butt slapping. There are so many articles that are only focused on the graphic sex scenes and not this beautiful love story. We lesbians were also intrigued by Emma’s blue hair.

4. ttp
    November 28, 2013

as a man I have no idea of what lesbians would or would not do in bed (although I guess there is a wide variability here).
    However I agree that the sex scenes are unrealistic (and somewhat boring). In the first sex scene for example, since it is Adele’s first sexual encounter with a woman, we would expect her to be more “shy”.
    But I think this is a conscious choice. I think Kechiche wanted to show that their relationship is so strong from the outset, that they don’t have to talk, they don’t have to ask (even if in real life you probably would not slap your partner’s butt without at least waiting to see her reaction).

5. Kate
    December 1, 2013

Is this what lesbian sex is really like?

Well, no, not really. A lot of the positions seemed to be used for visual effect rather than what would actually feel good in reality. I think more would have been said by trying to convey the emotions between the girls and the closeness they experienced. There was nothing wrong with making it graphic, but I agree with the comment in the video: it was as if the film sidestepped the basics and went for a showcasing of abilities that made the whole thing a bit OTT. Essentially the director’s intentions were good: showing that lesbian sex is ‘real sex’ and can be varied and exciting, but went about it in the wrong way.

6. cloudsandskye
    February 14, 2014

What is the music at the beginning of this video?